Friday, April 12, 2013

Day 2...

So day 2 of The Tannery has come and gone......Today was prep day, right onto peeling shallots that were the size of a small mans head, I don't know where the hell they grow these things, but they are enormous and will be roasted and served with split pigs head....speaking of pigs heads, the next job, I am handed a knife, a blowtorch and a case of pigs heads, to be torched and shaved clean for Saturday nights dinner. So cleaning pigs heads I did, 20 of em....not for the faint of heart.  The rest of the day I pretty muched worked with Paddy from Belfast.  We were making Oat Cakes and Walnut/ Date Bread..then Muffins and these really cool creme brulee' made in a canning jar filled halfway with compote of apples, plums and pears, topped with the mix and baked...(coming to a "Studio" near you). Paddy and I had some really interesting conversations about Belfast, from what I could understand anyway....So get this, I am trying to understand Paddy with his Belfast accent, I am trying to measure out recipes in grams and litres, I am cooking at temps in celsius and using timers on a 24 hour clock......can drive a guy a bit mad.....  Then it was an introduction to another cook.  "Hi, I am Brad, nice to meet you.  Hi Brad I am Gray Hem....Hi Gray Hem.  I sounded like a complete idiot as it came out of my mouth, he was obviously saying Graham.....I need to process quicker.  Graham is from South Africa and a hell of a cook, lots of fun to work with.  So at this point most of the prep is done and it's time to set up for dinner service.  Thats when I get the tap on the shoulder from Paul..."Lets go out for a pint!"  Never to turn down a pint, its off to the pub we go.  Now as everyone knows A pint is never A pint.....and this is when the night got really fucking weird and fun............

No comments: