Sunday, February 24, 2008

Floors!!



First, I just want to say "Thanks Frank"!!! (not Frank M. from my last post, Frank my "new blog-post best friend")
Dining room floors were started today. Danny, our floor man, was at it bright and early this morning at 8am and ripped right into things. After putting 3 cuts into the floors (which is shop talk for meaning sanding the floor at 3 different angles as not to leave any divots...I know this now because I have become a professional at everything...or at least I can sound like one!) we can see that these floors are going to be beautiful. After 50 some odd years of wear and tear onto these things they are showing their beauty! Check out the pic! We'll have a great mix of hard Canadian red oak on one side of the dining room, and a softer pine flooring on the other. This is because of the one room being added to the building later on. The oak it seems is the original floor to the building which was put up some time in the 1930's. The history lesson to the building will be a whole nuther (?) post unto itself...I am digging up as much info as I can, and would gladly take any from anyone that might have some to share, as well as any stories that anyone may have of the building! You know, like marriage proposals, first dates, celebrations, drunken brawls, lurid affairs, shootings, buried loot on the property (include maps if you can), whatever anyone wants to share. Tommorrow is the trip into the Bowery in NYC to start and pick up the new kitchen equipment, and from the looks of it we're going to have a beautiful day!
b.

9 comments:

Anonymous said...

My wife and I have eaten at bula numerous times and always had wonderful meals. We tried to grab a lunch at the end of December only to find that you were closed. Went to Krave instead, not bad at all. ;-) So I hit your old homepage to find out the scoop and see that you are moving to Byram. Where will Salt be lcoated? We are anxious to try your new venture out, once the doors are open.

Anonymous said...

OK, can Anthony Mandeville give us any hints to the menu?

Anonymous said...

first...thanks for the comments..lol,
second, thanks for the kind words, I'm glad you enjoyed bula. Sorry we were'nt there when you came by, but I must say you made a good choice in Krave, we've always enjoyed our meals there as well. We will be in Byram, in the old 76ers restaurant across from the shop-rite plaza on 206. Hope to see you there. Brad

For the other comment, we are currently working on the new menu and should start posting items in the next few days.
Brad

Anonymous said...

Bradley, I like your writing style, informative & entertaining at once! When will your book come out? BTW, you successfully guilted me into writing tonight after claiming "no one" is responding to this blog.....I looked for you & Laurie in Murray's yesterday morning, but now I see you were busy unearthing those beautiful floors.....

Anonymous said...

Brad and Laurie,

I love the blogs and read them everyday. The new bar looks fantastic and I'm looking forward to the grand opening.

Anonymous said...

We're reading! Don't be so sensitive, we love you guys and the new floors!

Unknown said...

Hey There !

Cant wait to try your new restaurant ! I wanted to go to Bula, but never had a chance - Glad I waited - you're right around the corner :)
This run down town is missing a little spice - hope to find it at Gastro

Anonymous said...

Now that Kai is all dried off, wondering how the meeting with the all important beer guy went. What can we look forward to drinking on tap?

Unknown said...

Brad and Laurie,
Maybe a question and answer area would be an appropriate addition to the blog to answer questions and dispel or confirm rumors. What rumors you ask? Well I'll start one: Is it true that Bigfoot is buried under the manhole cover in the dining room? (Okay so it's not a very good rumor . . .) - Mike