Thursday, March 20, 2008

THURSDAYS TOP CHEF RANT...

So Dale has come out as this season's prima-donna whiner. "I'm here to cook, not gussy up a table". Going back to each season where these guys have to be reminded this is Top "CHEF", not Top "COOK". A lot more goes into being a chef then cooking, so much more, and if you don't get that then you are just a cook...maybe a very good cook, but still a cook. And what's with this fucking "molecular gastronomy", sure it seems real cool, don't get me wrong, but the day a chef has to trade in his chef coat for a lab coat is the day I hang it up. Since when did cooking become a "science"? I got into cooking because of the creativity it offered, the passion that goes into it, the basic premise of taking the best products you can find and cooking them with the least amount of fooling around. Like I said, this "science" stuff is neato and there is definatly a skill involved and what not, but I don't want to pick up a science book the next time I'm looking for ideas, I'll stick with the good old fashioned cook book. Andrew this season is no doubt the "Ass", I love his attitude, I just don't think he can back it up. There is something to be said for a bit of arrogance and cockiness as long as you can bring it to the table...take Anthony Bourdain for instance...I don't think Andrew can bring it. I missed this weeks dolt, I had guessed last week that it would have been Ryan going home. Though I still think Ryan will be an early departure looks like he might hang for a little bit. I was surprised with their pick though. Nikkis mushrooms obviously sucked, could not be presented, and left her with not much to show. Dale is just a Dick and took what was already a shitty dish and made it shittier...seems one of these two or both should have been sent....Oh well, this is all just my humble opinion.
b.

2 comments:

h said...

Good luck with "Salt". You're a tad harsh on what is now called "molecular gastronomy". At Dufresne's level, it isn't about gimmickry. It's about doing what great Chefs have always done. Using ALL the ingredients and techniques available at their time and place in history.

Methinks Mr. Escoffier would have used lazers to butcher meat/fish had they existed. And mixed fresh products from Norway and Argentina had that been possible.

Anonymous said...

http://brickwalltavern.com/menus.html

New Jerseys first gastropub.