Sunday, March 16, 2008

IDEAS THAT ARE SPEWING FROM MY MIND ON A SUNDAY BEFORE A NEW WEEK......KEEP YOUR DISTANCE

Well Tony and I have gotten a buttload of work done today on the fountain, but the damn thing is still not done...I know, I know, these things take a progress. This is why guys like us enjoy being in the kitchen, where for the most part, you prep it, you make it, you cook it, and after a very brief time, well.....you eat it. This building stuff is just a lot of "what about this way? I don't know, let's look at it that way? Hmm how about we turn it like this, no, turn it back blah blah ,blah, let's get coffee and discuss and look at it again when we get back....My conclusion is, and has always been....the world should be run by kitchen people. We are fairly intelligent, very hard working, never whine, understand deadlines (Hell, if the wedding is 2 weeks from friday its not, I am a bit behind we may have to push the date back a couple of days, or I didn't account for this....It's just get the shit done however you have to!

For anyone out there in the foodservice industry, we are trying to put together an industry night here at Salt. Its really in the shaping idea right now, but the idea is like on every Wed. evening from let's say 11pm-2am we kind of have the place to ourselves. Discounts on food and drink, great company and just a lot of camaraderie, thats for both front and back of house. We just think it's a great way for us all to get to know each other in more of a social sense than a professional one. If any of you foodies out there would think this would be cool drop me a line...we're really hoping to turn it into fun laid back night.

I know I mentioned this before but for all you fitties (or not so fittie, but might want to be) who would like to join a running or biking club we at Salt are surrounded by running and biking trails and would love to sponser and host a group here at the restaurant, which again would entail a run/bike then back to Salt for some carbs..both solid and liquid!

Now how about those readers out there? We want a club for you as well. What we do is, you sign up for the group and there is a list of the books we will be reading (all related to the restaurant industry, more specificly to being a chef). We choose a day every month, we get together to discuss the book, and get some professional insight from those of us in the industry. We (Tony and I) make a menu loosely styled around the book, and we all get to eat and discuss the book...again let us know of any interest.

Last but not least.....We have a very unique program we are starting here at Salt. Since our original idea here, Laurie and I thought it would be a fun thing to do, to present our menus on plain old brown clip boards to the table. Just something different and less formal. Then it hit us that why just have plain clipboards? Let's paint them and poly them so they will last a bit longer. People thought this was a great idea and wanted to know if they too could paint some for us...sure. Well, one night while brainstorming Laurie and I thought "Ya know what, I bet some of these are gonna be great--we could sell the clipboards and raise money. WELLLLL, Jennifer our Manager and her Husband Eric run a summer program for children who have been affected by aids in any number of ways. They offer them a great time away from their problems and thoughts for one week each summer and give them just a great time out here in Sussex County. So we decided that in a very small way maybe we can help them out by donating 100% of all of the clipboard sales to help with this camp...our suggested donation is 10.00, but would of course accept anything. If you have a talent(or even just the desire) and would like to join in let us know, we have plenty of clipboards, and the art is in the mind of the artist...drop us a line..

thanks b.

5 comments:

Anonymous said...

I saw your team working on the sign Saturday as I drove by, and your description makes a great read. Wow the sign looks fabulous. Its like a beacon.

I don't know your rating system your efforts are worth many shakers.

Kate said...

I, for one, would love to be part of a book/cooking club. My only question is if I'll be an outsider, since I'm not actually part of the restaurant industry. However, I am a bit of a foodie and an avid cook.

Anonymous said...

I'm in Mt. Olive but Bula was a fav after I "found" it last year. Looking forward to SALT and it's even closer to home. Although not in the industry, I consider myself a foodie and wanna be home chef...I'd love some sort of food/cookig club where unique foods could be tasted and a cookie class using that food could be signed up for.

anonymous said...

Add another who would love to join a book club. It would combine to of my favorite things - reading and eating. The sign looks great!

Anonymous said...

The industry night idea sounds awesome. I know a couple chefs and cooks at work who would love to be a part of that. The beer list looks phenomenal. Can't wait to check it out.