Sunday, April 6, 2008

BUDDHISM, OLD AGE, I CAN'T EXPLAIN IT...


Old age must slowly be creeping up on me. I sat down last night to write up a post. It was a post on a dinner that Laurie and I went to with two good friends to a local restaurant. Over dinner we all decided that the place was really worthy of an unbelievably in depth post about how bizarre the entire evening was. The menu was insane, the service was sloppy at best, the food was mediocre, place was just a huge mess, not literally, but decor was kind of every decade (from the mid 1700's to present) and genre (80's bar scene, revolutionary muskets, stuffed game fish, gumball machine, period furniture) mashed into each room. The food sounded fairly straight-forward until it listed ingredients that were just very bizarre combinations...ok, enough, enough, this is what I am trying to avoid. So anyway. I sat down last night and typed out this very detailed evening that we all experienced, and it read like a novel, a very bizarre Hunter Thompson/ Brett Easton Ellis/Quentin Tarantino type of novel (that truly is how bizarre the whole thing was). Then it hit me. I can't be like those people that I hate. I think the owners, and I am sure the chef, are very proud of their restaurant. It was clean, the food was prepared well, they had ideas, maybe poorly executed, but ideas. They obviously cared, and who am I to judge them. I never wish anything but the best for people that actually care about their businesses, Lord knows we put our heart and souls, not to mention every penny we have into these things. That being said, I wish nothing but the best for these guys, again, who am I to say whether something will work or not. This is a change of heart for me, usually I am one to share my opinion with anyone that will listen (or not listen), and this time it just didn't feel right...had they been rude, or the place filthy, or the food rancid, or anything that would have given a hint that these people didn't care and were just hoping to make a quick buck on unsuspecting diners I would be the first to share and to warn every and any one. That just wasn't the case. So I will keep the name to myself and keep the details of the evening to just this, the chips will fall where they will....Not sure if it's old age or all of these Buddhist studies and meditation, perhaps no longer drinking, I don't know, I can't explain...but it feels better.
b.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Maybe it is a change of heart, or maybe you know that you will soon be reviewed as well..... Karma can be a good thing- good luck to you.

Anonymous said...

what restaurant was this?? do you recommend it at all??